Friday, January 1, 2010

Episode 1 Quick Breads for New Years!




A quick bread is a bread that is made from baking soda baking powder, or cream of tartar. It differs from standard loaves of bread because they don't use standard yeast which takes a couple hours to rise (hence the name quick bread). One of the most famous of the quick breads for all the folks out there who think they have never had any before, is banana bread.

Most quick breads are made from five simple ingredients. flour, Baking powder, Eggs, Fat, and Milk. Everything else you throw in is for taste and flavor and the options are endless.



Last night I made a Jamaican Jungle Bread which had almonds, cinnamon, pineapples, and bananas. You suppose to make a glaze for the bread, which I will be perfectly honest i questioned because with those pineapples I thought the bread might be sweet already, but the baking process gave you the taste without the usual syrup taste that pineapples bring.



I also made a bread of my own concoction I called "Sissy" bread. cinnamon, walnuts, almonds, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and a little vanilla.

Let me just state if your trying to make a quick bread yourself (which is very easy to make) that the more wet ingredients you add the longer the bread takes to bake. this can get tricky cause you don't want to the bread to over bake and dry out or burn. This was the case with my "sissy" bread. After an hour and some change the toothpick was still coming out a little moist, so after taking the bread out of the oven I covered the top and side with foil. Seemed to work really well cause an hour later the center was quite firm.

Since this is my first entry and a food blog is new to me, you guys tell me if i should add the recipes (or just take orders....kidding).

3 comments:

  1. "...you guys tell me if i should add the recipes (or just take orders....kidding."

    i think you should do both. recipes won't do me any good because i don't cook but i LOVE to eat. congratulations on your new adventure!

    lol @ "sissy bread"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recipes Please! They both sound great! I really like your tip about wrapping the bread in foil to continue the cooking process while avoiding drying out.

    I'm really looking forward to following your posts here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, of course, recipes. But if you start taking orders, do add a paypal account. You can't be giving this away.

    ReplyDelete